Classic Victoria Sponge
Enjoy a slice of this beautiful cake with a lovely cup of tea
Time 30 mins
Time 30 mins
Time 60 mins
For the Cake
- 1tsp Vanilla Extract
- 4 Large Eggs
The weight of the 4 Large Eggs (in shells) of
- Butter, softened
- Caster Sugar
- Self-Raising Flour
For the Filling
- 100g Butter, softened
- 1tbsp Semi Skimmed Milk
- 225g Icing Sugar
- 3 drops Vanilla Extract
- 6-8tbsp Strawberry or Raspberry Jam
- Preheat oven to 180C/Fan 160C/Gas Mark 4. Grease two 20cm (8”) round sandwich tins with butter and line the bases with non-stick baking paper
- Mix the butter and sugar together until smooth, using an electric whisk or wooden spoon
- Once smooth, add the eggs and mix well
- Once the eggs are mixed well, add the flour and mix again until smooth
- Mix in the vanilla extract
- Divide the cake mixture between the two tins, gently tap them on the worktop to level them out and bake in the hot oven for about 25-30 minutes, or until well risen and the tops of the sponges spring back when lightly touched.
- Leave to cool in the tins for 5 minutes. Then turn out onto a wire rack, remove the paper, and leave to finish cooling.
- To make the buttercream filling, measure the butter, milk, icing sugar and vanilla extract into a bowl and mix until fully combined and smooth.
- When the cakes are completely cold, spread the buttercream filling on one cake and the jam on the other. Sandwich the two cakes together and place on a serving plate.
- Sprinkle icing sugar on the top before enjoying with loved ones and a nice cup of tea.