Vegetable & Feta Quiche
The perfect picnic dish to share with friends & family
Time 45 mins
Time 1 hr 30 mins
Time 3 hr 15 mins
for the pastry
- 225g Plain Flour, plus extra for dusting
- 85g cold Unsalted Butter, cubed
- 40g cold Vegetable Shortening, cubed
- pinch of Salt
- extra Butter for greasing
for the filling
- 2 Large Free Range Eggs
- 2 Large Free Range Egg Yolks
- 1 large Red Pepper, deseeded and cut into small bite-sized chunks
- 1 large Orange Pepper, deseeded and cut into small bite-sized chunks
- 1 Courgette, cut into bite-sized chunks
- 1/2tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 50ml Whole Milk
- 150ml Single Cream
- 120g Feta Cheese
- Salt & Pepper for seasoning
- Preheat the oven to 220C/200C Fan/Gas 7. To make the pastry, mix the flour and salt in a large bowl. With your hands, rub in the butter and the vegetable shortening until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Bring the pastry together using a palette knife, adding cold water a tablespoon at a time – up to 6 tablespoons – until it forms a dough. Shape the dough into a flat disc, wrap in cling film and place in the fridge for 20–30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, to make the filling, spread the peppers and courgette chunks over a large baking tray. Add the oil and a generous amount of seasoning and mix well. Roast the vegetables for about 30 minutes, or until tender and just starting to char. Remove from the oven, leaving the vegetables on the baking tray to cool, but leaving the oven on.
- Grease a 24cm diameter quiche tin. Roll out the pastry on a well-floured surface until you have a disc large enough to line the dish. Line the tin, pushing it gently into the corners. Trim excess pastry from around the rim and use it to patch up any cracks if necessary, Return the pastry case to the fridge for 20 minutes.
- Whisk together the eggs, egg yolks, milk, cream and a generous amount of seasoning in a large bowl and set aside. Place a heavy baking sheet in the oven to heat up.
- Remove the pastry case from the fridge and scatter the roasted vegetables over the base. Crumble over the feta, then pour over the egg mixture. Put the quiche tin on the hot baking sheet and bake for 40-45 minutes, or until the filling is golden, just set and slightly puffy.
- Leave the quiche to rest for at least 10 minutes before slicing.