Fishcakes & a summer salad
Enjoy a summer supper of salmon fishcakes with salad
Servings 4 fishcakes
- 240g Salmon Fillets, usually 2 fillets
- 500g White Potatoes, peeled & diced
- 2 slices of Bread
- 1tbsp Plain Flour
- 1 Egg
- a Pinch of Cayenne Pepper
- a Pinch of Smoked Paprika
- a Pinch of Garlic Powder
- a Pinch of Parsley
- Salt & Pepper, to taste
- Bring a pan of water to the boil and add the peeled white potatoes. Leave them to simmer for 20 minutes, or until soft.
- While the potatoes are boiling, rip the bread into small pieces, place in a food processor and blend until you have breadcrumbs. Place the breadcrumbs onto a baking tray and put them in a low temperature oven for 5 minutes; you want them to toast, not burn! Once done, leave them to one side.
- Heat 1tsp of cooking oil in a large frying pan and shallow fry the salmon fillets for 12 minutes, turning every few minutes.
- Once the potatoes are cooked, drain the water and mash with a fork.
- Add all of the spices and seasonings to the mashed potato and stir, ensuring they’re mixed evenly.
- Add the cooked salmon fillets and plain flour to the mash, and carefully mix with a fork breaking up the fillets.
- Divide the salmon & mash mixture into 4 and shape them into tall patties. Leave the patties to rest while preparing a salad bed of your choice.
- Crack the egg into a bowl and whisk.
- Heat the large frying pan that was used to cook the salmon fillets, on a medium heat, carefully adding another 1tsp of oil.
- Place one of the patties in the whisked egg, ensuring that the entire patty is covered, then place in the toasted breadcrumbs. Once again, ensure that the entire patty is covered in the breadcrumbs. Place this patty in the pan.
- Repeat the previous step for the remaining patties.
- While the patties are in the pan, ensure that you turn them after 2-3 minutes. They should only be in the pan to seal the ingredients and give you a robust fishcake.
- Serve on your bed of salad with some tartare sauce on the side.