A classic breakfast dish with just as many options for toppings as it has names! Eggy bread, pain perdu or French toast.
Time 5 mins
Time 15 mins
Time 20 mins
- 2 eggs
- 80ml whole milk
- 40ml double cream
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4tsp cinnamon
- 4 thick slices of brioche
- 2tbsp vegetable oil
- 2tbsp butter
- Toppings – we like fruit and icing sugar
- Whisk together the eggs, milk, cream, vanilla and cinnamon.
- Lay the brioche slices in a single layer in a shallow dish and pour the egg mixture over them. Allow to soak for 2-3 mins, then carefully turn over and soak for 2 mins on the other side.
- Heat 1 tbsp of the vegetable oil and butter in a non-stick frying pan over a medium heat until foaming.
- Carefully lift 2 slices of the soaked brioche out of the dish and add to the frying pan. Fry for 3 mins on each side, until golden and crisp. Place on a wire rack over a baking tray in a warm oven while you repeat with the remaining slices.
- Serve dusted in icing sugar and a bunch of red grapes, or which ever toppings of your choice.